If I was stuck on an Island and could only bring one thing I honestly think I would bring coconut oil. You might think I am crazy but this stuff is AMAZING! Seriously this solid oil can be used for anything and everything. From adding it to your beauty routine to incorporating it into your pets’ routine, this stuff has so many uses. It is definitely one of my winter must-haves!
Now there are two types of coconut oil you will see virgin/ unrefined or refined coconut oil. Virgin coconut oil is extracted mechanically with no use of chemicals and it has a distinct coconut flavor and scent. Whereas refined is usually extracted with chemicals and has a neutral scent and taste.
I prefer to buy virgin or unrefined coconut oil as it is considered the most natural. Check out this coconut oil on Amazon.
Now honestly coconut oil has so many uses I will probably miss a lot but these are some of the most amazing uses for coconut oil.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If you click on these links and make a purchase I may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
Beauty uses for coconut oil!
- Makeup Remover: I use a lot of waterproof makeup especially mascara. Coconut oil is my go-to for removing stubborn eye makeup. I would not use this alone though as it does leave your face quite oily. Use a face cleanser after to help remove the excess oil.
- Moisturizer: I have extremely dry skin in the winter, which I’m assuming most of you do! After a shower, I usually take a teaspoon size amount of coconut oil and rub it into the driest areas, like my elbows, knees, and feet. I use the excess on the remaining areas.
- Exfoliator: Using a 2:1 ratio of sugar to coconut oil combine the two and you will have an awesome coconut oil body scrub. The best part it doesn’t have the added chemicals of store-bought scrubs.
- Cuticle moisturizer: Hangnails are the worse. We are constantly washing our hands and exposing them to less than ideal situations. Keeping your cuticles moisturized is so important. Once a day massage a small amount onto each nail.
- Hair Mask: Coconut oil is a great moisturizer for your hair as well. Take a few teaspoons depending on hair length and thickness and warm it up between your hands. Apply it to the middle and ends of your dry hair and let sit for at least half an hour. You can leave it on as long as you want tho. The easiest way to remove it is to get into the shower and use a small amount of shampoo before getting your hair wet. Then just wash your hair like you normally do.
- Soothe Sunburns: Coconut oil can be used for many skin conditions. Its high-fat content is great for moisturizing your peeling skin.
- Lip Balm: Looking for a natural but moisturizing lip balm. Just rub a small amount into your lips to help keep them hydrated.
- Oil pulling: Oil pulling involves swishing oil in your mouth and it has been shown to improve oral hygiene and to help remove bacteria. To do this swish one tablespoon of oil in your mouth for 10-15 minutes being careful not to swallow any. After spit it into a garbage can and then rinse your mouth well with water.
- Highlighter: Looking for a natural highlighter. Dab a small amount of coconut oil on your cheekbones for a natural glow.
- Fight Frizz: To help fight frizz take a small amount of coconut oil in your hands a run through frizzy areas in your hair.
- Sore raw nose: Got a sore nose from a cold or allergies. Rub a pea-sized amount of coconut oil on the dry irritated skin for some relief.
- Eyelash Growth: After removing eye makeup massage a small amount of coconut oil on your eyelash as it is said to improve growth.
Other amazing uses for coconut oil!
- Remove gum: Get gum stuck in your hair? Massage a small spoonful of coconut oil into the hair around the gum and it should slide right out.
- Season cast iron pans: Have a cast iron pan that needs to be seasoned. Use coconut oil to do so.
- For your pets: Coconut oil can be used in your dog’s meals, treats, or even directly on their fur. Check out this great article for tips.
- Protect cuts and scrapes: Coconut oil can be used to protect wounds as a protective layer to keep out dirt and bacteria.
- Replace your cooking oil: Coconut oil has a high smoke point which makes it great for cooking.
- Add it to your drinks: Add some coconut oil to your smoothies, coffee, or tea for a metabolism or energy boost.
- Cooking popcorn: Cover the bottom of a pot with oil and add popcorn kernels to cook stovetop popcorn.
- Soothes cradle cap: Cradle cap is common in newborns, massaging the coconut oil into your baby’s scalp can help to loosen the flakes. Simply give your baby their normal bath, warm up a small amount of the oil. Test to make sure it isn’t too hot then massage into your baby’s scalp for 1 to 2 minutes. Leave on for 15 minutes. Wash the oil out with baby shampoo afterward.
There are so many other amazing uses for coconut oil as well as so many benefits! What is your favorite way to use coconut oil?